Monday, October 23, 2017

Colt's Birthday Bash


Happy Birthday to our little COLT-MAN on the 19th! We actually had a really great day celebrating him with our close friends and family. These anniversaries are always a little bitter-sweet, as we wish he could be here with us in person... eating cake, unwrapping tons of gifts, and being his extra cute self. However, we have such faith and hope in God's plan that we can celebrate him and his short life, filled with peace and love. I can't even count the tender mercies we receive each day... and especially the ones we were blessed with on his birthday. God truly is watching over our little family.


We spent the first part of our day preparing... making cupcakes, shopping for his favorite foods, and taking balloons up to his headstone. It was fun to be able to think of him every second of the day and feel his love around us. Our dear dear friend Amy gave us this beautiful picture of tulips that says: "welcome to holland", because she knows how much we love that story. We are so blessed to have her as an amazing example of how to live a joyful and grateful life after you lose someone so dear. She has been there for us every step of the way through this tough trial.


We ate his favorite foods (I forgot a picture)... apples, cheese, and apple juice. We took everyone up to his grave, where Richard sang him his Lullaby... We also sent him floating lanterns, with a promise written on each one of something we would do to make the world a brighter and better place.








 I am beyond grateful for the love and support we feel from everyone towards the loss of our precious boy. So many people sent off lanterns or balloons from their homes, sent us a card or facebook post, or did their own special thing for Colt on his birthday. We truly are blessed with the BEST family and friends around.

On Saturday we were able to celebrate him again by doing another team Colt event... our Bike Ride around Bear Lake. I say this every time... but... I'm pretty sure it was my favorite event yet!




We had some of the BIGGEST GOOFBALLS with us... which always makes it so much fun!! My grandparents were even able to come and drive their truck alongside us as we rode! Colt had miles done by both of his Grandpa's, his Nana, Aunts (Ashlee, Lisa, Holly, & McKinley), Richard, Graci, and me. There is no better support group than these guys!! :)





Richard's workplace, Superior Physical Therapy, even made us an Aid Station in a box! It was full of water, gatorade, and tons of goodies to keep us all energized on the ride. We were so grateful to them for doing this for us, and also for always supporting us in whatever capacity they are able.


It really was such a beautiful ride (for the most part), except for when we hit the head wind that made it feel like we were climbing a huge mountain! It wore most of us out pretty quick, and some of us had to stop early! :( But we did our best and that is what really matters!!

I love the peace I feel when we do an event, and the closeness I feel to my sweet boy. There is always at least one moment, (usually when I'm alone), when I can feel him so strongly with me... often when I am worn out and need a hand! There were a few times during this ride that I suddenly felt like someone gave me a little push from behind... once I even looked back to see who was there... there was never anyone... so I figured it was Colt helping me to keep going, letting me know he was there.




So... none of us were actually able to finish the whole loop... Two of us (Richard and Lisa) could have... but we ran out of time! The rest of us were pretty ok to be done after 38 miles, and we decided if we do it again we need to go when its just a little warmer, and we have trained more. The furthest any of us had even gone this year on our bikes was 9 miles... and some hadn't been on a bike for over a year! I guess we are just crazy! It really was a blast, and I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to go with!! Love them all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment