Monday, June 12, 2017

Richard's Tribute to Colt


My life has been filled with many roles. A son, a friend, a captain, a missionary, a teacher, a husband… These many roles have blessed my life and provided opportunities for me to grow, mature, learn and progress as my Father in Heaven would want me to. Nearly six years ago I become a husband. I was blessed with God’s most precious daughter to spend eternity with and to walk through this life with. For her I am truly grateful, and humbled by her strength and goodness. Together we have made a wonderful story and at the center of that story is my most treasured role. This role is divine, it is eternal, and it has brought to me the most sublime joy that I could ever experience. I am a father.
I hear that title and I begin to wonder, now more than ever, what that role means to me. When I think of the word father, I am lead to think of the greatest father of all. I know that our Heavenly Father also has many roles. He too is a son, a companion, the God of Eternity, Master of the Universe, Architect of Worlds, the Beginning and the End. With all of these other duties and roles he fulfills, how could he possibly have time to be a father to me? Someone that protects, teaches, forgives, and encourages us to move forward. Could it be that He, the greatest of all, finds one role more precious than all others? In the book of Moses we learn of His most treasured task, His very reason for existence when he says, “This is my work and my Glory, to bring to pass the immortality and Eternal Life of man.” His most sublime joy comes from his role as a father, and watching His children return to be with him.
So here I am, a father, fulfilling the most divine and precious role that I could be entrusted with in this life and for eternity. That role is made perfect by my sweet daughter Graci and her little brother Colt. They are truly my greatest blessing.


Colt came into our lives on October 19, 2016 at 6:54 pm in Springfield, Missouri. From the moment we met him we felt that we were in the presence of a choice spirit, one more valiant than most. His first days on earth were filled with sleeping close to his mother’s heart where he felt peace and safety. We learned that he loved to be held close at all times, which made for several weeks of sleeping in recliners and his immediately waking up if laid down. Looking back, perhaps his sweet spirit knew of his mission and did not want us to miss out on any time with him.
Colt spent the majority of his precious earth life here amidst the snow capped peaks and rolling foothills of Paradise. He loved to explore and often walked with Braquel along the canal road being entertained by his big sister in the stroller. In the winter he rode on my chest as we pulled the other children behind the snowmobile. He loved being outside, and he wanted to experience everything, even if he fell asleep doing it.
Colt not only loved the outdoors, but also making people smile. At church on Sundays he would stand in our laps, squealing and jumping while smiling at everyone behind him. I’m certain that several people heard more from Colt than they did from the speakers in Sacrament. His sweet spirit loved to spread joy to everyone around him. He really was our little angel.
Colt was the true definition of a “momma’s boy”. From the very beginning he had a special connection with his mother. No one could quite snuggle him, calm him, and love him quite like mommy, and he knew that. His Nana will even admit that it didn’t matter what game was being played or what silly face was being shown, if his mommy walked in and he heard her voice, his head spun, his body lunged, and his army crawling sprint couldn’t get him to her quick enough. He loved his mommy, he loves his mommy, and he will always love his mommy.
After mommy came Graci. Graci had a bond with Colt that most parents perhaps only dream of for their children. She wanted to be with him everywhere. She sang to him as they played and giggled with him when they were in their jammies before bed. She is the greatest big sister and looks forward to when she can play with Colt again.


What else can a father say? What words can express what we as parents feel about Colt?
Lightning. Life is a storm. The rain falls, the thunder claps, the wind blows and we often wish we could just curl up and wait out the storm. But then, the lightning strikes. The darkness is dispelled by brilliant light and our minds fill with wonder and awe as we finally see the beauty in the storm. And although the brilliance and physical splendor of the lightning comes and goes faster than a blink, we are left with hope because we remember how we felt when we saw that perfect brightness. We can’t wait for the clouds to darken and the rain to fall because we remember the joy that will soon follow. Colt was a lightning bolt. His time with us was short, but his light was seen and the impact felt by everyone that knew him. He has given us hope, looking forward to the storm before us, because we know that we will see his light again and feel his love as we embrace him as a family, together forever. For a time we will mourn. The clouds will darken and we will want to hide away in search of safety. But he will be there, showing us the beauty of the storm, one bolt of lightning at a time.
I want to share a scripture that gives me hope for what will come. “And now after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him, that He lives! For we saw Him, even on the right hand of God, and we heard the voice bearing record that He is the Only Begotten of the Father—That by Him, and through Him, and of Him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God.”
Our little Colt is perfect, and he lives with God in perfect happiness. With the help of our Savior, we can all become just as they are, as we weather the storm and find the beauty and light amidst the darkness. We will see him again, and what a sweet day that will be.
 -Richard/Daddy


Who can say for certain
Maybe you're still here
We feel you all around us
Your memory's so clear
Deep in the stillness
I can hear you speak
You're still an inspiration
Can it be

That you are my forever love
And you are watching over me
From up above
Fly me up to where you are
Beyond the distant star
I wish upon tonight
To see you smile
If only for a while to know you're there
A breath aways not far to where you are

Are you gently sleeping
Here inside my dreams
And isn't faith believing
All power can't be seen
As my heart holds you
Just one beat away
I cherish all you gave me
Everyday

Cause you are my forever love
Watching me from up above
And I believe that angels breathe
And that love will live on
And never leave
Fly me up to where you are
Beyond the distant star
I wish upon tonight
To see you smile
If only for a while to know you're there
A breath aways not far to where you are
We know you're there
A breath aways not far to where you are

"To Where You Are" - sung by Richard 

Our brothers...the last ones to carry Colt...love them forever

1 comment:

  1. As I sit here reading this, crying, I'm so touched by the thoughts shared. We are far away from you, but Colt has touched our lives too, through you. We love you, our Elder Woodland, and are so happy that your family is a part of our lives too. Thank you Braquel for sharing. Lots of love to you all.

    ReplyDelete