Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Home To Me

Sometimes it feels like my life is taking much too long. I get very impatient waiting for the moment I cross the veil and get to embrace my son again. I often wonder how I am going to make it decades more without him physically with me when I am so eager after only 7 weeks. How do I even begin to mend the big hole I feel each time it hits me that he is gone? How do I keep living life when all I want is to hold my baby? Luckily, when I am feeling like this it doesn’t take long for the lord to send me comfort. This morning while I was getting ready he did so through music.


One of my favorite groups is Gentri. Many of their songs have been a lot of help these past weeks. This morning their song “Home” came on and gave me such a sense of hope and peace. The words they sung spoke to my soul and hit all my emotions perfectly. While I was listening I closed my eyes, and could picture Colt singing the verses to me. (I often like to think he would have been a great singer like his dad). I felt a few tears fall down my cheeks as I took in all the words and let them fill my heart…

Sudden I left you, so far away
Unknown my day of return
If I could write you, words that would stay
I'd give you a promise to hold
That we never end
Dry all your sorrows, though bitter they be
Our parting be a moment that fades like a dream
And soon dear you'll find me where the stars meet the sea
Safe in the whisper that calls you home to me.

Your heart though it's aching, burdened and frail
Longing to follow behind.
But if I could give you, a gift that remains
Love that endures through all time
Never to end
So dry all your sorrows, though bitter they be
Our parting be a moment that fades like a dream
And soon dear you'll find me where the stars meet the sea
Safe in the whisper that calls you home to me.
If I could show you (just) for a moment beauty unseen
Peace that surrounds you (and) hope that leads you home to me.

And soon dear you'll find me where the stars meet the sea
Safe in the whisper that calls you home
That calls you home
That calls you home to me.

I do long for Colt, I have great sorrow trying to live without him. But I know, with a sureness, that my time here without him will be like a moment. I think that when I return home I will laugh at how impatient I was here waiting to be with him again. I know that he is often with us, and have had several friends and family members tell me stories of feeling Colt with them. He is now one of the angels, helping our Father in Heaven lead us home to be with them all again. Heavenly Father, with the help of his angels are in every little detail of our lives. I have personally felt them with me every second in the days after Colt’s death. These words ring so true to me:

“If I could show you (just) for a moment beauty unseen
Peace that surrounds you (and) hope that leads you home to me.”

I believe that if we could see our ancestors and posterity who surround us, we would be in awe. We are not alone, we will never be alone. Although I cannot physically see and touch my son, I know he is with me. That doesn’t stop me from wishing time to move a little faster, but it is a huge comfort. I am learning what it means to ‘hold him in my heart’ while I can’t hold him in my arms, but I know that one day I will. One day our family will again be complete. Until then, I will keep listening to this song, and find peace as I live with faith.

3 comments:

  1. I cry every time I read one of your Blogs. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. My heart aches for you and your family. I so appreciate your testimony! You are a beautiful person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Braquel, it is so hard isnt it. Each tear, each sigh, each desperate longing thought will be compensated a hundred times over with joy when you see Colt again.Hold on strong.It is so hard to wake another day with them. It is hard to even conceive how the world can keep going. Doesn't it know something precious was lost? Thank God for tender mercies and the PROMISE of forever families. <3

    ReplyDelete